"I will do it"

 Set Apart.

Jeremiah 1:4-8

The word of the LORD came to me saying,

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.

"Ah, Sovereign LORD," I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am only a child."  But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, I am only a child.  You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you.  Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD.

In case you're wondering what mugs have to do with today's thoughts, let me explain. 

This mornings readings appear to have one thing in common. Obedience. And as I continue to study the passage about the angel speaking with Mary I always stop at the part where she responds to the angel with, "I am the Lord's servant."

In our household we like to drink both coffee and tea.  I have various cups for both beverages.  Actually I have too many cups truth be told and each Christmas season I bring out even more mugs.  Mugs that have Christmas images are brought down off the shelf once a year for a time and used more so than the other mugs.  They are in essence, "set apart",  they serve a purpose.

This passage of scripture speaks to me in so many ways all of which culminate into one vision, one purpose. Obedience. There are so many words here to describe the intimacy of one with another.                I formed you, I knew you, I set (you) apart, I appointed you. The connection between the LORD and the individual, in this case Jeremiah can  be described as kinship.  I know the future because I know the past. I know the plans for you because I designed them, set them in place. I've got your back. I know you.

Yet Jeremiah protests.  I know I have protested, complained, questioned things I perhaps didn't understand.  Jeremiah was a young man.  It sounds like he lacked experience. But the LORD is saying, none of this matters.  You are destined to go because I set you apart and I decided this long before you were born, a child.  Nothing of what you protest matters. In the grand scheme of things what I am asking for is your obedience. And again the words are spoken. "Do not be afraid (of them)"

"How will this be?" Mary asked the angel.

"Ah, how will this be?" asks Jeremiah.

"How can I do this?" I have asked time and time again.  And the answer always comes back, "I will" says the Lord.  I just need you to trust me and be obedient. Not to a set of rules, not to another way, or to another persons ideas or strengths but to me. "I will do it."

The language of set apart is not meant to be exclusive or 'special'.  It isn't even necessarily a specific calling.  It's reassurance.  There is a level of comfort in the fact that I am included in the development of a plan that demands my involvement and my trust in the one who sees all, who knows all and who knows me.

I guess you could say that any old mug will do. There is truth in that.  But then, I wouldn't choose a common dinner plate to serve anyone tea.  Even a child can understand this. My Christmas mugs serve a purpose if anything but to delight me. They might not make any difference in someone else's life but then again, maybe they might. It's unknown to me.  My role is simply to serve.

I serve a purpose. Now that's grace.

Comments

Popular Posts