Yesterday

 Yesterday's are busy.  Especially when you are getting ready for Christmas and family dinners. Then today arrives and lists continue to repeat their structure.  Swirling thought patterns of endless to do lists with an occasional sigh.

After Mary received her news from the angel.  She didn't sit down and write down notes and pages of lists outlining what needed to be done in order to get ready for a baby.

Instead she sang.  She raised her eyes, maybe even her hands and she praised "the Lord."

"My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour." Note that she didn't worry. Instead of internalizing, she let all her thoughts out into the open.  Sometimes I imagine Mary standing in Elizabeths kitchen with her hands held up as she begins her discourse, her song.  Mary has just walked through the door into her cousins home. I ask myself why.  Why does Mary need to repeat, list everything that God has done in the past?  All of Mary's yesterdays held in her mind.   I keep thinking that Mary was young and yet, she has listened and while listening she remembers.  She remembers that any list she could write down is not going to serve her as well  or accomplished as much as listing everything God has set out to do.

"for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant.  From now on all generations will called me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me--holy is his name."

Anything that involves Mary will ultimately be carried back to God and his faithfulness to complete the task being recalled for generations following.  With lists we tend to check off things one by one calling the action done.  God is only just getting started.  His work is ongoing, part of the process and we are joined with him.  

"His mercy extends to those who fear him from generation to generation.  He has performed mighty deed with his arm; he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts."

Why the slight shift in focus?  I think it's because we humans have the nature to pat ourselves on the back.  "Good job!" we say we tick off that action.  Yet here, Mary continues to recognize that it has nothing to do with her and it's all about God and his plan. She understands that God is in the details.  From those held in highest esteem to those of humble stature. The rich may feel secure in their wealth but Mary's God is someone who provides.  He was there in the the yesterday.  He is standing before her with Elizabeth and Mary rests knowing that He is already involved in the tomorrow of her life.  Of all our lives.

"He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty.  He has helped his servant Israel remembering to be merciful to Abraham and his descendants forever, even as he said to our fathers."

I have lost track of the numerous times my to do list seemed to grow instead of receiving the necessary checkmark indication. Sometimes I ask myself why I even bother to do these things. My list only serves as a reminder of my failed attempt to get things done throughout my day.

Thank God for all he has done on my behalf.  It is he that accomplishes what I could and can never do.

Mary knew this.  I need to remember this too.

Comments

Popular Posts