Taking a risk

 I've never been very good at taking risks.  Calculated or otherwise.

I suppose I didn't want to risk losing...anything. Yet Jesus says, you must lose your life for me.  Troubling to say the least to anyone who plays it safe.  But is it really and truly safe?

I hesitate to say that Christ coming to this world as a baby, melding into mankind was a risk.  But.. isn't it a risk of sorts when you tell someone, announcing to that individual your love for them?  Will it be reciprocated? Where do you stand once the words are out?

The Bible is full of stories about people not loving God.  Turning their backs from the one who led, fed and carried them through many a battle.  Then enter Jesus stage left.  A baby no less.  Vulnerable and in the earthly care of young parents. It was a brave move but then this is God we are talking about and when we say he makes no mistakes then this implies that he is also good as well as in the know, that this is part of a plan well executed.

My earthly understanding is this.  I know that the care of a newly born baby will depend entirely on me, on the parents for their needs.  But here we have the Christ child and because those of us who have the scriptures to read and learn about his life, we read wanting to know, "how did things go?"

This baby relies on his mother for a nappy change and we rely on him for a change of heart.

This baby cries and is fed by his mother.  We cry out for more of life and are fed by scripture.

This child will learn about life from his earthly parents all the while being the one who from the days of Creation formed the world he now resides in.

And when I use the word "rely" what I mean to say that this too is part of the narrative, part of the ongoing story we cherish so much at Christmastime.  The honest truth is that this baby, child and man relies on his Heavenly Father.  Recall his very words after his parents search for him and find him in the temple.

"How is it that you sought me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?"

His parents thinking he is lost turn back and travel to find him.  

May I also take that risk to seek after him. Turning my face toward the one who truly loves me and trust in his plans for my life just as Jesus did. The one who came to "seek and save the lost."

Comments

Popular Posts